Max & I have been going out of town a lot recently… either heading into the bushes, or going down south, etc. But since forecast was windy & rainy for this weekend… we went baby stuff shopping instead. he he we’re both pretty bad with shopping around… give us a few minutes inside the shopping centre and we both get completely drained. 😛
Anyhow, I think we did achieve something. At least we’re getting closer to what we think are the few first essential stuff that we need to get.
1. stroller/pram – we want something that is light yet durable, and also for me, what is essential is that it folds easy. There are prams/strollers that you need to detach the seat first before you can collapse it. And then, it’s not even that small when you fold it up. And man, talk about choices – there’s soo many of them to choose from you don’t even know where to start looking – and prices can be as high as AUD 2,000. 😛 Anyway, we saw a stroller that is relatively light, good for newborn to 17kg (which is about 4-5 yrs old) and also folds easy – not to mention cheap too! Steelcraft Express Stroller – AUD 129.
2. breast pump – I’ve heard a lot of talk about breast pump, which makes it very confusing whether to get one asap or not. But… most that I’ve heard is that having a breast pump is not a bad thing,
- it helps express more milk
- when you express milk into bottle/s, you can then train baby not to rely solely on you for feeding. Your husband or other relatives can get the chance to feed the baby too, also gives you freedom to go shopping and maybe go to the spa or something… 😛
There’s also a lot of breast pumps out there… but based on research, top brands are Avent & Medela. As for here locally, I think Avent is more popular as you can find more accessories at the shops. So I think I wanna get the Avent isis iq uno electronic breast pump – which costs about AUD 250. Baby food warmer and steriliser will have to follow later on. 😛
3. baby monitor – Max absolutely wants this – and not only does he want the sound monitor, he wants movement & sound monitor – meaning, it also monitors baby’s heartbeat – it sets off an alarm if baby’s heartbeat drops. We thought it would be difficult to find but as it is, it’s very popular nowadays. We’re looking at getting the Babysense II – AUD 300.
4. disposable nappies – we’re going to combine cloth & disposable nappies. Thank goodness there’s a lot of nappy washing companies around here so I don’t have to worry about the washing. 🙂
5. capsule – Max thinks that we don’t need a car seat straightaway so we might hire a capsule in the beginning as they’re relatively cheap. However, a friend is planning to sell their baby seat soon so I might just grab that. Car seat should be a really good one for baby’s safety.
6. bassinet – Thanks to Glen & Julia who recently had their baby, they’re gonna pass on their bassinet to us. Yippee!!! 🙂
7. baby bath – Thanks to Max’s ever perceptive eye, he found one that is still in very good condition. Not only is it a baby bath, it’s got a change table too. 🙂
8. change table & cupboard – Thanks to a wonderful & very excited sis in law, we got a change table early on… I think I was only in my first trimester when Julia delivered it. ha ha BUT, I can’t complain, it’s a really good one! 🙂
Other stuff that we think are essential too are baby wipes, nappy liner & change mat. And as we are having a December baby, I think we should go buy these stuff relatively soon so that we don’t get caught up with the Christmas shoppers like last year! That would be a complete nightmare! It was tough enough when I wasn’t pregnant! 😛
Mum is pretty excited too… kept asking when we’re gonna go baby stuff shopping… 🙂 I can tell little Sammy’s going to be pretty spoiled! 😛
And we’re also on the lookout for a bigger house… hope we find a good one soon! 🙂